My name is Ian Batty. I run my own company, Maguffyn, and work as a Solution Architect providing technical assistance to oil companies who want to implement medium to large scale IT systems. More details on my professional life are available at http://www.linkedin.com/in/maguffyn
I have lived in a large number of places including
- Kent (Meopham to be precise, though various sports saw me move around to represent Gravesend Swimming Club and Rochester Lifeguard Club)
- Southport (which holds a tie for me as my parents still live there)
- Southampton (on several occasions, including my first time at University, after my second time at university and before and after I moved to Canada)
- London (because, doesn’t everyone move to London at some point shortly after they finish university?)
- Hannover, Germany (whilst working in Kazakhstan. Yeah, it gets a bit confusing)
- Sheffield (which was my second time at university)
- Tunbridge Wells (though I don’t include the time I was looking for oil there. And yes, that is a whole other story as to what I was doing looking for oil in Tunbridge Wells)
- Calgary, Canada
- And possibly The Hague (den Haag) in the Netherlands
Which just goes to show why I tend to roll my eyes when people ask me where I am from.
Also, I have two kids and am divorced. No regrets about the marriage and the divorce because of the two kids.