What has happened? It seems that only a few short months ago I was luxuriating in TV shows that were defining a new style of television:
- Life on Mars was the most inventive cop drama seen in years
- Dirt may have left a bad taste in the mouth, but it was compelling
- Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was more of the same from Aaron Sorkin; but when the same is that good, why not have more?
- Weeds was devilishly wicked; ripping the veneer of suburban America to expose a disenfranchised (and largely high) society
- Californication was able to show that even someone who we should consider as unredeemable has a decent side
- Heroes was a cool 21st Century take on superheroes and comic books
- Even ‘What About Brian‘ was a nice little guilty trip (and ‘October Road‘ continued the same theme) both of which were probably made more interesting (for me at least) by the presence of some extremely easy-on-the-eye actresses (Sarah Lancaster, Tiffani Thiessen and a grown up Laura Prepon)
Each week I would get home from working away and was faced with a dilemma: Which of the quality TV shows on my PVR would I watch first?
And now…. I tried to get into the recent BBC period dramas (‘Lark Rise to Candleford’ and ‘Sense and Sensibility’) and they didn’t take. I am probably the wrong demographic for either of them, but you can’t blame the source material- after all I love the BBC version of ‘Pride and Prejudice’.
I am trying to stick with Damages (that one might last, but I am not convinced yet), Mistresses (which is IMHO a bit of a chick flick on TV- maybe I am trying to get in touch with my feminine side… Yeah right) but only Torchwood (think ‘Doctor Who’ for grown ups) is getting anywhere near the peaks of last year. And part of the appeal of Torchwood is the impending arrival of Martha Jones (played by the wonderful Freema Agyeman– is there a theme working its way through my viewing habits?)
At least I will soon be moving into my apartment in the Netherlands where there will be no TV signal; just a TV, a DVD player and a pile of DVD’s that I haven’t got around to watching- and the DVD’s are often of TV shows- just the good ones 🙂 .
I can’t wait.